Mold spores exist nearly everywhere- in the air we breath, and on virtually any surface. However, mold spores can't colonize and reproduce unless they have oxygen, moisture and a food source. Unfortunately, it is virtually impossible to eliminate oxygen and moisture from a construction environment. In fact newer building practices actually increase potential mold problems by decreasing general ventilation of a building and making it more "air-tight" (thereby trapping moisture and increasing the chances of mold growth)
Why Mold is a Problem
Health Effects : Mold effects human health in numerous ways
- Mold related allergies: Symptoms can include runny nose, itchy eyes, wheezing, and skin rashes.
- Allergic fungal sinusitis
- Mold can irritate mucous membranes of the eyes and respiratory system.
- Volatile compounds (VOCS) produced by mold are thought to cause headache, attention deficit, and dizziness.
- Toxic molds are reported to cause nausea and diarrhea, depression, headaches, tremors, kidney problems, and infertility.
Before we inspect, we conduct a thorough survey to determine the level of risk for toxic mold. Here is a sample of some of the questions we ask:
- What is the building's use (residence, rental, or commercial building)?
- How old is the building?
- How is the drainage around the building?
- What is the exterior of the building composed of?
- Are there bushes/trees next to the building?
- Is their a lot of organic debris around the building?
- What is the shade level around the building?
- Did you use a home mold test kit and get positive results?
- Was their any previous professional mold testing/sampling done?
- What were the results?
- Was the problem fixed?
Contact MoldStoppers™ for a quote or to make an appointment.